If you spend any time driving in or around the Columbus area, you know that you'll always be sharing the road with trucks and/or other commercial vehicles.
While this is a way of life, you don't want to lose sight of the dangers that are lurking around every bend.
Here are some of the most common causes of truck accidents, not only in Columbus but also throughout the rest of the state and country:
- Lack of training related to technique and safety concerns
- Drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence or alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving, such as texting or calling someone on the phone
- Unrealistic schedule set by the trucking company, causing the driver to speed or drive without getting enough rest
- Reckless driving, including but not limited to neglecting to use turn signals and speeding
When driving in close proximity to a truck, there is no way of knowing what the driver will do next. For example, you may think you're safe, but you don't know that the driver is actually texting.
No matter how safe you are, you could be part of a commercial truck accident. If this happens, you should focus all your immediate attention on getting the medical treatment you require. This starts with calling 911 and waiting for an ambulance to arrive.
Once you receive treatment, it's time to learn more about the cause of the crash and who was at fault. This could put you in position to focus on your legal rights and how to hold the negligent party responsible for his or her actions.
Source: FindLaw, "Common Causes of Truck Accidents," accessed May 15, 2018