If you spend any time on the highways of Ohio, you understand that you’ll always be in close proximity to commercial trucks. You may need to take some steps to maintain your safety.
There are many things you can do to avoid an accident with a truck, including the following:
- Share the road: Everyone is trying to reach their destination safely, and sharing the road helps ensure the safety of you and those around you.
- Keep your distance: Don’t drive too closely to a truck, such as several feet behind the vehicle.
- Watch how you pass: Since commercial trucks are often slow moving, you may find yourself regularly passing these vehicles. When doing so, maintain a steady speed and leave enough space before changing lanes.
- Beware of distractions: Not only should you keep distractions out of your vehicle, but watch for truckers who may not be paying attention to the road. For example, if you see a trucker texting and driving, you don’t want to create as much space between your vehicles as possible.
Even with safety on your mind, you could still be part of an accident with a commercial truck. If this happens, here are the steps to take:
- Check yourself for injuries
- Call 911
- Receive medical treatment
- Revisit the accident
- Collect evidence regarding the crash
- Contact your insurance company to file a claim
Also, if the truck driver was responsible for the crash, you may want to take additional action to hold them responsible and to protect your legal rights. Remember also that there are time constraints involved with filing personal injury claims, so don’t delay.