Columbus Truck Accident Lawyers
We Have Recovered Millions of Dollars for Accident Victims
Roads in Columbus and other communities across Ohio experience a large volume of commercial vehicle traffic each day. With increased traffic comes the increased risk of accident and, unfortunately for drivers of regular passenger vehicles, they can find themselves seriously injured in accidents with 18-wheelers.
The experienced Columbus truck accident lawyers at Ross, Midian & Breitmayer, LLC work diligently to protect the rights of truck accident victims. With millions of dollars recovered for our past clients, we have the legal knowledge necessary to build a strong case on your behalf. We understand the unique challenges and financial hardships you are facing, and we are prepared to aggressively fight for the maximum compensation you are owed. If the liable insurance company refuses to offer an acceptable settlement, we are ready to take your case to trial.
Share your story with our legal team; call (614) 450-2223 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys today.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Ohio
While any motor vehicle accident can be devastating, the large size and immense weight of commercial trucks mean they cause immense damage when they collide with smaller passenger vehicles and motorcycles. As a result, truck accidents are far more likely to result in catastrophic injury and death than other types of accidents. This makes these cases complex, as victims require compensation not only for their immediate medical costs but also for the expenses associated with ongoing treatment as well.
Another complicating factor in truck accident claims is the issue of liability. While a truck driver may have caused the accident, his or her trucking company may be liable for the accident because the truck driver was “on the clock” when the collision occurred. Additionally, a third party, such as a manufacturer or another motorist, could be partially or wholly to blame for an accident. It’s important that we look at the causes of the accident in order to determine who is liable.
Some of the most common factors that lead to trucking accidents include:
- Truck drivers operating in excess of federal hours limits
- Drivers who are distracted or using a cell phone while driving
- Operators under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Trucking companies that fail to maintain their vehicles
- Cargo that is not secured properly or shifts while driving
- Overloaded trucks carrying excessive cargo
- Truck drivers behaving negligently (speeding, violating traffic laws, etc.)
- Defective trucks or truck parts
- Another motorist on the road acting carelessly or recklessly
- Defective or faulty road design or construction
As previously mentioned, truck accidents often result in injuries that can take a long time to heal, leaving you in a very difficult position financially. At Ross, Midian & Breitmayer, LLC, we make sure that insurance companies do not try to needlessly delay your case or engage in unfair settlement practices.
Who Can Be Sued in a Truck Accident Case?
With the causes of a truck accident explained, it becomes clearer that there might not be just one party to blame for the crash. In many truck accident cases, investigators are able to conclude that multiple parties contributed to the crash or its likelihood in a variety of different ways. Filing a claim or lawsuit against one defendant, therefore, might not be enough. Instead, you could be better off filing against several. Our truck accident attorneys can make this process simpler for you, regardless of the number of defendants.
Parties that could be sued in your truck accident case include:
- Truck driver: It is rare for the truck driver to not be held liable at all for a trucking accident. No matter the details of the crash, the truck driver is the only person in direct control of the vehicle.
- Trucking company: Companies that hire or contract truck drivers can become liable for the accidents they cause in various ways, such as hiring unlicensed drivers, not training novice drivers, or requiring drivers to work extended shifts that lead to exhaustion.
- Truck part manufacturer: When a truck accident is caused by a failed truck part, engineers might determine that the truck part was doomed to fail due to a defect, which makes the part manufacturer liable.
- Product load crew: When a truck receives or unloads cargo, it is most common for a third-party company to handle this process. Load crews can misload cargo in a way that contributes to a crash, like stacking the products too high and making the trailer top-heavy. If this happens, then the company that pays the load crew could be sued for compensation, too.
How Are Truck Accidents Different from Car Accidents?
There are a few significant differences between truck accidents and car accidents, such as:
- Liability: As discussed, liability for a truck accident can be spread among several parties.
- Injuries: Truck accidents tend to cause significantly worse injuries than a car crash due to the dramatic size and weight differences between a big rig and a passenger vehicle.
- Damages: The value of a truck accident claim tends to be much larger, too, because severe injuries cause more damages – like medical treatment costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering – when compared to injuries in other cases.
Do I Need a Truck Accident Attorney?
The insurance companies in your case may make it nearly impossible for you to get the compensation you deserve. Once we understand what has happened in your accident, we can prepare a solid plan to recover compensation from all of the responsible parties.
When these companies refuse to recognize the value of your claim, we are more than ready to take your case to court. We do not shy away from trial, especially when the demands of the case require us to litigate in order to get justice for you and your family. You can trust us to put your needs at the forefront of your case as we seek compensation for you.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Lawyer?
You want to have a truck accident attorney represent you for your claim or lawsuit, but can you? Is hiring a truck accident lawyer an affordable option for everyone? If you come to Ross, Midian & Breitmayer, LLC, then it is.
We are proud to offer free consultations and contingency fee agreements to our truck accident clients. Free initial consultations allow you to explore your legal options without paying anything upfront. Contingency fees mean we are not paid any attorney fees unless we end your case with a positive settlement or award for you. Additionally, contingency fees are equal to a percentage of your winnings, so you will never owe our firm more than you can afford. There is even a chance that we can argue that the defendant should be responsible for the entirety of our fees.
Let Our Experienced Attorneys Help You Fight for Fair Compensation
Our Columbus truck accident lawyers have the aggressive approach and hard-earned reputation you need as your case winds through the legal system. From negotiation to litigation, we will protect your best interests along the way.
To schedule your free consultation, please call our office at (614) 450-2223 or send us an email using our contact form.
Bus Passenger Accident $300,000
The client was a passenger on a bus, which ran off the road into a ditch causing two compression fractures in his low back (non-surgical).
Motor Vehicle Accident $250,000 Policy Limits
Client was involved in head on collision which required extraction.
Motor Vehicle Accident $250,000 Policy Limits
Client was struck by vehicle that ran a stop sign. Multiple fractures.
Motor Vehicle Accident $200,000
Multiple-impact, rear-end collision resulting in multiple disc herniations.
Motor Vehicle Accident $185,000
Client was struck by vehicle that ran a stop sign.
Motor Vehicle Accident $185,000
Client was struck by vehicle that ran stop sign and rolled Jeep. Client walked away but subsequently developed shoulder injuries.
Motorcycle Crash $150,000
Defendant came across three lanes of traffic and struck client who was on his motorcycle. Client suffered substantial “road rash” and a knee injury (non-surgical).
Motor Vehicle Accident $100,000 Policy Limits
Client was rear-ended causing low back injury requiring fusion surgery.
T-Bone Accident $90,000
The defendant failed to stop at a red light and T-boned the client on the passenger side of her vehicle.
Motor Vehicle Accident $90,000
Client was struck by vehicle that ran a stop sign, causing a concussion, vertigo, right ankle injury, and right wrist injury.
Guidance & Support
Our experienced attorneys will handle everything connected to your claim, so that you can focus on your recovery.
We pride ourselves on our client-first approach, which compels us to treat each client like a close friend or family member.
We possess extensive trial experience and are not afraid to take your case to trial to fight for the justice you deserve.
At RMB, we pride ourselves on providing our clients with the responsiveness & attentiveness that they need and deserve.
If you schedule an appointment with us, you will have one of our lawyers (not a paralegal or admin), at your home or place of business to answer all the questions you have about your claim. There is no bait and switch with RMB. If you choose us, WE will handle your injury claim from beginning to end.